- Connect, Learn and Thrive
- Provide educational services to students whose physical or mental health presents difficulties in accessing their regular education program, and to facilitate their entry or return to a program that best meets their ongoing needs.
Making Continued School an Expectation
Many regular teachers and/or parents treat a visit to hospital as a break in studies for the child. It is our experience and research supports that a continued expectation for schooling has many positive benefits even for short-term stays and we ask enrolled schools, health staff and parents to support this concept. Closs and Norris (2001) found a positive outcome is more likely for a student if:
- A partnership exists between the enrolled school, hospital school, health services, family and student.
- Transition planning is conducted well in advance.
- Professional learning is conducted for enrolled school staff.
- The enrolled school has a positive ethos to support the student.